Sunday, July 15, 2007

One small step for a man .... one changed life

Not sure who may be reading this in blogsphere but I haven't been able to work on this blog for some 3 months.

At the beginning of April my wife and I went to Switzerland to visit our daughter who was working there. While at the top of Jungfraujoch I slipped and ended up in hospital in Interlaken for 5 days. All it took was one step on a slippery floor (which turned out to be ice!) and I fractured my fibula and broke my ankle in such a way that the tendon was almost detached. Two metal screws were inserted into my ankle. Tomorrow I see the orthopedic surgeon who will decide when to remove these metal screws.

This accident happened on the second day of our time in Switzerland! Having to listen to German non stop for five days I have resolved to make an effort to learn German to get it to a level so that I can use it effectively.

I was able to visit an OMF missionary friend in Zurich. My friend took me in a wheelchair to see the Grossmunster where Zwingli ministered and I have been inspired to read up more on the works of Zwingli and Bullinger.

I am reminded of a verse of Scripture that has always been special to me - Proverbs 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps".

I have been kept busy with ministry commitments and hamstrung with having to have a cast and having to walk with crutches for quite some time. I have just come back from being the last minute replacement speaker for our church camp.

I had one stimulating experience was when a visiting Indonesian New Testament scholar gave a seminar on his NT Greek/Indonesian Interlinear Bible with accompanying concordance. In referring to the parable of the rich fool he made a point about the verb in Luke 12:20 being 3rd person plural active. I had suggested to him off the top of my head that it might be a divine passive. When I did a cursory check via the internet I did discover an article that referred to 3rd person plural active used both in Hebrew and Aramaic to indicate the passive.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog