Sunday, April 1, 2007

Easter and God's plan

At our evening service on Sunday we sang the following contemporary song composed by Bryson Smith who ministers at the Presbyterian church in Dubbo, Central NSW, Australia:

At God's perfect timing
Christ died for fallen man
He wore a crown of thorns
Nails driven through His hands
Christ willingly endured it
To death He chose to go
He broke His body for us
Shed blood to make us whole

Nothing can I boast in
My life is scared with sin
My works are filthy rags
No merit can I bring
Yet mercy filled Christ's heart
Love took Him to the tree
It's grace alone which saves me
Christ's blood that sets me free

So, if I am boasting
I'll speak of my disgrace
For my weak self displays
The power of God's grace
Christ's Spirit works within me
In weakness He is strong
So I look to my Saviour
To safely bring me home

Many great biblical themes are alluded to in this great Christian song:

The first stanza contains a clear reference to Galatians 4:4 and God's plan for the salvation of men and women from Garden to Garden. The shedding of blood is a clear reference to Hebrews 9:22 and other NT passages which see the perfect sacrifice of Christ on the cross as a fulfillment of the OT sacrificial system to provide forgiveness, wholeness and reconciliation with God.

The second stanza has a reference to Isaiah 64:6 and affirms that righteousness is only found in Jesus who sets us free from the bondage of sin. Significantly, in the line 'love took Him to the tree' there is a reference to Galatians 3:13 which, in turn refers to Deuteronomy 21:23. Another clear link between the new covenant and the old covenant.

The third stanza refers to "Christ's Spirit works within me" and in so doing refers to the farewell discourse of John 14-16 with respect to 'going' of Christ and the 'coming' of another Paraclete. The presence of the Spirit in the life and ministry of Jesus and in the life of the believer is evidence that the kingdom of God is here (Acts 2:17-21). But the kingdom of God is yet to come as we look to our Saviour "to safely bring me home" - that is, back to the Garden. All of this is by God's grace according to His plan.

What a great Christian song set to great music!

No comments: